Fox has officially announced that it is canceling 24. This will be the show’s last season on TV, although there are hopes for a movie at some point.
This really shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. I’ve posted several times on this year’s generally lackluster season. Clearly, the show seems to have run out of ideas — which is not surprising, because there are only so many terrorist threats to American soil that can be played out, from beginning to end, in a 24-hour period.
Before the show ends, however, there are some things that I really want to see:
* Jack Bauer saying he is very hungry and then eating something. A Power Bar, a Fig Newton . . . anything!
* A CTU superior slapping Chloe O’Brian after she makes yet another inappropriately snarky comment and engages in her customary facial contortions and eye-rolling during a critical moment.
* A member of CTU dozing at his computer station during the 4 a.m. hour.
* A technical glitch or downloading failure that prevents an effort by Chloe to immediately send detailed plans of a previously unknown building to Jack’s PDA.
* When Kiefer Sutherland whispers one of Jack’s lines, the character to whom he is speaking saying: “Huh? What? I’m sorry, I didn’t hear that. Could you please speak up?”
* CTU boss Brian Hastings channeling the ghost of Bubba from Forrest Gump by mentioning five kinds of dishes made with shrimp.
* Standard CTU security forces actually maintaining a “perimeter” that catches a bad guy trying to infiltrate or escape.
* The return of Tony Almeida, David Palmer, Jack’s brother, Jack’s wife, various people Jack has killed, the cougar that hunted Kim in an earlier season, and a surprise appearance by William Shatner in a haunting, hallucinogenic dream sequence that leaves Jack profoundly traumatized.
* Jack Bauer showing that he actually performs bodily functions like the rest of us. If it were up to me, he would be shown coming out of a bathroom, with some toilet paper stuck to his shoe.