Sometimes you read a news story that involves a routine, daily experience that somehow went bad, and you have to be thankful that it didn’t involve you.
Few things are more routine than a trip to the dentist. You go, sit in the chair, open your mouth, have people mess around with your teeth, and try to think of happier things that are far away until they are done. It’s not a pleasant experience, but it’s a part of everyday life to be endured in the interests of better overall health.
But what if your routine dental appointment went horribly wrong? That’s what a lawsuit alleges happened as a dentist in Nevada worked on a five-year-old girl’s mouth. According to the lawsuit documents, the girl was put under anesthesia and the dentist began using a motorized tool to smooth her teeth. The lawsuit claims that the tool allegedly emitted a spark that caused a “throat pack” in the girl’s mouth to catch fire for a second or two, causing the poor girl to suffer burns to her palate, tongue, mouth, and lips and require hospitalization.
I’ve always thought the only risks at the dentist’s office are a stern lecture from the dental hygienist about flossing and the possibility that the dentist might strike a nerve while drilling. The possibility of experiencing a mouth fire never entered my mind. Now that thought is there, and it will make it harder to go to that mental happy place the next time I sit in the dentist’s chair. I’ll never look at a trip to the dentist in quite the same way again.