Here’s a tangible sign of just how ridiculously cool and wet our summer has been so far — this morning, July 11, our flower beds are filled with these ugly gray toadstools. They typically show up during the damp spring months but are long gone by mid-summer.
If we ever get a period of prolonged sunny, dry weather — which is a big if in Columbus right now — I will take great delight in seeing these unsightly monstrosities wither and die.
We’ve had a lot of rain and humidity in Columbus lately, so it’s fun times for fungi. These two large brain coral fungi were found along the Yantis Loop, sprouting from what appeared to be dead tree roots.
It’s been a wet and humid few weeks in central Ohio, and we now have some unexpected fungal visitors in our front yard. It’s the first time I can remember finding mushrooms in the lawn itself, as opposed to in the shady and damp areas underneath trees and shrubs in our flower beds.
These are two of a number of rapidly growing mushrooms in the yard. Because I know almost nothing about mushrooms, I decided to see whether I could figure out what kind of variety these mushrooms are — and whether they are edible. To my wholly uneducated eye, they look pretty much like the mushrooms you buy at the grocery store.
From my examination of the photos and descriptions on this website, I’m guessing that these are “meadow mushrooms.” They clearly aren’t Morels, Chanterelles, giant puffballs, or “Shaggy manes,” and they don’t have the bumpy caps found in other varieties. According to the website, if these are “meadow mushrooms,” they are edible. The website also helpfully adds, however, that there is “no test or characteristic to distinguish edible from poisonous mushrooms.” Given that mushroom poisoning can be fatal, I’m not going to take a chance on eating these buggers.